What makes any human being a genius?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
soul88

What makes any human being a genius?

Post by soul88 »

Hi there

I've been thinking lately about that and I'd like to see your opinions guys on that, thanks.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

From this: viewtopic.php?t=128

"What is Genius?

The best way to answer such a question is to describe what genius is not. First and foremost, genius does not necessarily relate to talent. Being exceptionally good at some particular task does not automatically make one a genius. In light of this, people like Albert Einstein and Johan Sebastion Bach were not geniuses, but simply very talented people. Indeed, a genius need not be very talented in any area of life at all. Or if he does have some talent, it would necessarily find its most concentrated expression in the realm of wisdom. Genius is a function of one's relationship with Ultimate Reality and thus is a function of consciousness. The more one is conscious of the true nature of Reality, the more one is a genius. By this definition, people like Jesus, the Buddha, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Weininger, and Socrates were geniuses to greater or lesser degree.

Albert Eintein, although gifted with a prodigious intellect, had a very poor relationship with Reality. The highest he ever reached in this relationship was a sense of awe and wonder at the Universe, which means that his connection with Reality was largely emotional and subconscious. It was, at bottom, little more than an emotional reaction to his own limited understanding of Reality as a whole. Einstein failed to take the all-important conceptual leap into full understanding of Reality, and thus he failed to reach the level of genius. The chief characteristic of a genius is independence of mind. This independence is attained through his having a clear and conscious grasp of the nature of Reality, which results in his mind being unmoved by the myths and fashions of his culture. Indeed, everything he thinks, says and does is performed with authority, a quality that arises when one's knowledge is permanent, complete, and beyond doubt."

- posted by David Quinn
bert

Post by bert »

as from my genius teacher:

a genius is not a person who has not more or finer ideas than another,but one who is able not only to visualize but to incarnate them.

the last died super genius for me is Salvador Dali.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

as from my genius teacher:

He once said "Aaayyyy!, When you're this cool, they're out to get you."

the last super genius for me is Fonzie from "Happy Days."
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

bert wrote:
a genius is not a person who has not more or finer ideas than another,but one who is able not only to visualize but to incarnate them.

What about Marylin Manson?

-
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Salvador Dali?

Gag a maggot, already. Good painter. That's about it.

Of course, when you consider the consciousness of people now, Dali looks pretty good.

Know who I always thought was over-rated -- except for his painterly skill?

Magritte. Magritte really sucked. Probably would seem like a breath of fresh air now.

These are desperate times. No writers of significance. Philosophy is dead. Religion rules.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

What about Hakuin?

Post a little Hakuin and you be enlightened. Just like that.

Don't waste your time with Dali. Just hang around here for a year or two and post some Hakuin and -- presto changeo -- you get an enlightened medal. No work. No problems. No objection.

Kind of reminds me of this fat little dog in my neighborhood. His masters let him go out in the morning. He has been overweight and diabetic. He has this sign on his back that says. "Don't feed me."

You walk down a road with a "Don't feed me" sign on your back and you get fed.

This forum is a lot like that. If you are ill, your illnesses will be fed.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL ME DARLIN, DARLIN
YOU NEVER EVEN CALL ME BY MY NAME

AND I'LL HANG AROUND AS LONG AS YOU WILL LET ME
AND I NEVER MINDED STANDIN IN THE RAIN

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Discorporate.

You'll be absolutely free.

Faizi
bert

Post by bert »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:bert wrote:

What about Marylin Manson?

-
How and when did he pas away?
bert

Post by bert »

MKFaizi wrote:Salvador Dali?

Gag a maggot, already. Good painter. That's about it.

Of course, when you consider the consciousness of people now, Dali looks pretty good.

Know who I always thought was over-rated -- except for his painterly skill?

Magritte. Magritte really sucked. Probably would seem like a breath of fresh air now.

These are desperate times. No writers of significance. Philosophy is dead. Religion rules.

Faizi
Dali isn't my teacher.

what he had to offer as a philosopher is not important.we are talking about genius.

words about his genius:"I believe I am a rather mediocre painter in what I produce.The genius lies in my vision,not in what I am in the process of creating."
"my delirium and lucidity are more important than my painting".
"I am fascinated by death.it is my subject.And one vein of my work is to make death colloidal,to stretch it,to milk it,to get the resurrection of the flesh from it".
"only that is true which we believe true and are strong enough to impose"
-the list goes on...

my teacher:
At hand is the freedom of Heaven,the Way,the Truth,and the Light,and none dare say this about himself but me,in Truth I alone am "Self",my will unconditioned,is magical.Those who have lived much in their nature will in some degree be familiar with such a sensation,poor thou it be. - written 1909-1913
DHodges

Manson

Post by DHodges »

David Quinn wrote:What about Marylin Manson?
Manson actually does some very good social commentary. Reading his autobiography, I felt a certain kinship with him - in a different environment, I could have gone that way.

Manson is a clown. He dresses up in ridiculous outfits. He tries to rip shit up, but mostly ends up ripping up himself.

He's not a genius... but I can relate.
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

Marsha:
Philosophy is dead. Religion rules.
Take it back! Religion only rules the religious, and philosophy, is it dead in you?
bert

Post by bert »

I'm looking forward to Manson's psychological thriller/horror movie of Alice (of Wonderland).

haven't been in search of him ,so I couldn't tell much about him.
Once I've seen a performance of him on a metalfest when I was about 16,and they were throwing lots of mud to him.But you could tell that he wasn't irritated at all about it.He just enjoyed the show.
The next band was Korn,and they wouldn't want to enter the stage if people didn't quit throwing.That was quite funny.
marilyn his performance was one of the best that weekend.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Dave Hodges wrote:
Manson is a clown. He dresses up in ridiculous outfits. He tries to rip shit up, but mostly ends up ripping up himself.

I agree that he wasn't a genius, but he is more or less on the same level as Dali. Dali was a more interesting artist, though, especially for those who enjoy psychedelia.

-
bert

Post by bert »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:Dave Hodges wrote:

I agree that he wasn't a genius, but he is more or less on the same level as Dali. Dali was a more interesting artist, though, especially for those who enjoy psychedelia.

-
it's about a surrealist,surrealism and the surreal.a fist in the face of Enlightenment
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Sugar wrote:
Take it back! Religion only rules the religious, and philosophy, is it dead in you?
Religion rules all.

Philosophy is not dead in me. But the individual does not matter.

In the modern world, philosophy carries no weight -- unless you consider religious Buddhism to be philosophy.

I don't.

Faizi
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

Sugar wrote:

Marsha: Religion rules all.

Philosophy is not dead in me. But the individual does not matter.

In the modern world, philosophy carries no weight -- unless you consider religious Buddhism to be philosophy.

I don't.
Where else do you think philosophy should carry weight if not in the individual? And where else should it lie lightest of all? Depression is alien to us, consequently we're made to feel it acutely. I would never suggest putting on a happy face, but are we destined to be destroyers?
igor

Re: What makes any human being a genius?

Post by igor »

soul88 wrote:Hi there

I've been thinking lately about that and I'd like to see your opinions guys on that, thanks.
Highly concentrated thinking 22 hours a day during long time. The time matters :)
In my opinion geek (nerd) is modern word for genius.
There is also such phenomenon as people with autism (for example, in such countries as Finland). Their thinking is more conventional than nonstandard, but condition pushes them to concentrate on particular subject (area).
teslacoils2006

I am satisfied with the dictionary meaning of genius

Post by teslacoils2006 »

I am satisfied with the dictionary meaning of genius
yinsey

Yinsey

Post by yinsey »

Los genios son criaturas excepcionales que nacen sin necesidad de hacerse ni realizarse, pero muchos de nosotros estamos condenados al abismo de un mundo corrupto y desacompasado, que deja subyacer las corrientes de la enfermedad del mal y sucumbea la irracionalidad de mentes y la valoración de lo absurdo, por ello, la mayoría de nosotros sólo podemos llegar a ser cuando en realidad hemos dejado de ser. La muerte es la fiel compañera de la elocuencia y de la brillantez, de aquel, que llamado genio, desnuda su mente ante miles de ojos y seres corruptos de divagación e insensated.
Ojalá todo pudiese cambiar para no sufrir en la armonía del silencio y en la agonía de la desesperación por un mundo creado para nosotros.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

This is an English speaking board - which ought be obvious. Could you translate the above please.....

Dan Rowden
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

Hey Dan,

Te gusta queso?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Depende de qué clase de queso.

Smartarse :)
Carrotblog

Lost in Translation: flawed in syntax & found in semant

Post by Carrotblog »

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:03 am Post subject: Yinsey
Los genios son criaturas excepcionales que nacen sin necesidad de hacerse ni realizarse, pero muchos de nosotros estamos condenados al abismo de un mundo corrupto y desacompasado, que deja subyacer las corrientes de la enfermedad del mal y sucumbea la irracionalidad de mentes y la valoración de lo absurdo, por ello, la mayoría de nosotros sólo podemos llegar a ser cuando en realidad hemos dejado de ser. La muerte es la fiel compañera de la elocuencia y de la brillantez, de aquel, que llamado genio, desnuda su mente ante miles de ojos y seres corruptos de divagación e insensated.
Ojalá todo pudiese cambiar para no sufrir en la armonía del silencio y en la agonía de la desesperación por un mundo creado para nosotros.

Here's a loose translation with a few artistic liberties taken. This of course, the consequence when posters insist on posting in their own language without their own translation ;P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Geniuses are exceptional beings. From birth their genius is expressed without development and has no requirement to grow into its own. Conversely, the mere human has a different lot. He is condemned in birth through the abyss of a corrupt world, plagued by disease and irrational thought. In this void, he is out of step with genius. Instead he [the mere human] elevates absurdity in thought, exemplified through the principle that he can only attain being when he can let others be: "live and let live".

......[This bit is a bit garbled in Spanish].....

That which we call "genius", is genius expressed before the multitudes of corrupt and unenlightened humans. In hope, a revolution of this suffering and agonising desperation can end in the harmony of silence, attuned to a world created for us."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

xoxoxoxo

Miffy

http://carrotblog.liverjournal.com