Qualities of a Spiritually Evolved Human

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kunga

Re: Qualities of a Spiritually Evolved Human

Post by Kunga »

First you need bodhichitta [the aspiration to free others from suffering...bodhichitta develops from a deep loving compassionate emotion that swells up deep inside your heart. Before becoming a Buddha, you aspire as a Compassionate Bodhisattva. Christ is an example of someone[Bodhisattva] that wanted to save the world from suffering....so the cross is the symbolism for his loving us so much, he would sacrifice his own life. Like a mother would, for her children that she loves and protects. Like a mother bear.

Without this aspiration, Wisdom is only egotistical and cold/dead.
Buddha had the ability to know each person individually,[clarivoyant] and tweek his teachings to reach people on a warm human individual level.
Only[warm/soft] compassion can balance hard/cold [Wisdom].
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Kunga wrote:
movingalways wrote:she is not ready to go beyond the healing aspect of Buddhist thought. Which is perfect for her.
Well, don't you need both Compassion and Wisdom ? How can you have Wisdom without compassion ? How can you have compassion without Wisdom ?
To throw out compassion[emotions], and just rely on Wisdom[intellect], you just become mechanical and inhumane. Enlightenment is for humans, not insensitive robots.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda07.htm
Read my words carefully. I am not inferring that compassion is thrown out when one goes beyond compassion (because one is infinite in nature, throwing out one of their things is not possible), I am inferring that one must be ready to go beyond compassion in order to be able to leave it behind. Nothing in dependent arising is wasted, not in its path of Ignorance or its path of Liberation. If you read the exchange between Seeker and I with regards to the relationship between suffering and existence, you might catch a glimpse of my vision here of compassion and its relationship with insight wisdom.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Kunga: Only[warm/soft] compassion can balance hard/cold [Wisdom]
Or, wisdom of emptiness arises, is arising hard/cold?
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

movingalways wrote:
Kunga: Only[warm/soft] compassion can balance hard/cold [Wisdom]
Or, wisdom of emptiness arises, is arising hard/cold?
The wisdom of emptiness is compassion and wisdom combined.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Is that it then?
An abiding sense of bliss in the ordinary everyday world is to be deemed:

A crippled condition
unconscious
Impossible
Second rate
unworthy
to be got rid of
a profound affliction
a candidate for intense therapeutic intervention
against all wisdom

case closed?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Every condition is a supporting condition of another condition, basic Buddhist doctrine. Insight wisdom arises because of a condition, insight wisdom gives rise to a condition, as does compassion arise because of a condition, as does compassion give rise to a condition. The unfolding chain of dependent arising.

Given the supporting nature of conditions, is it logical that they can be combined?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Dennis Mahar wrote:Is that it then?
An abiding sense of bliss in the ordinary everyday world is to be deemed:

A crippled condition
unconscious
Impossible
Second rate
unworthy
to be got rid of
a profound affliction
a candidate for intense therapeutic intervention
against all wisdom

case closed?
Liberation from birth and death demands death of all things born. Case closed. If liberation from things born is not what you seek, then bliss is a beneficial intention that will help you exist in the ordinary everyday world. I seek liberation from birth and death, therefore, the birth of bliss, for me, is case closed.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

So,
Its a dangerous world for self as project?

to self is to not only deal with appearances, its also to present an appearance?

Does that entail 'looking good'?

should I be rushing over to wikipedia to canvas opinion concerning the latest threat.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

I don't understand the above post.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

It's a dangerous world for Dennis his punctuation and prose. Looking good is just a little effort: it comes with health naturally.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Well Pam,
All the conversations imply there's something dangerous.
something good/bad, right/wrong.

something to fix.
in order to for the sake of.

you,your self say you are set on a project to fix something.
Last edited by Dennis Mahar on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

How is the law of causality dangerous or right or wrong?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I noted that all the conversations imply something is dangerous and needs to be fixed.
agree?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

It is only the self concept that thinks the supporting conditions of dependent arising are dangerous-right/wrong-needing to be fixed. The I of the principle of causality knows of no such emotional or moral interpretation of its infinite appearances of THAT.

The self project dies as the infinite I becomes known.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

movingalways wrote: I don't recall that particular struggle, but since it is only recently that I made a breakthrough to removing all doubts, I can say with conviction that the end of suffering is synonymous with the cessation of existence. The idea that one's intent of consciousness goes on eternally is hell to me; such an effect would be, to me, the equivalent of the infinity of craving. Hungry ghost comes to mind.
It was some months ago.

I couldn't agree more, often egotism leads one not to confront the true condition of existence, the craving, agitation and various forms of suffering. "Hungry ghost" or like being in a dream with no end.
movingalways wrote: I can't speak for Dennis, but I do believe it is possible to abide so "deep" into emptiness that one does not react to physical pain. This does not mean awareness of it is not present, one is not denying pain, only that one's insight wisdom of its true nature is the dominant consciousness. Such a depth of abiding is not connected to any intention of mood such as bliss.
Even if one were able to avoid suffering for a long period of time, or to have a clear awareness of emptiness so that even pain may be seen as transparent, it has nothing to do with the fact that life is suffering - for such awareness, insight, abiding, understanding, etc, is and could not be eternal. Conditions will eventually change, the arising of delusion and suffering is inevitable throughout existence.

One could experience lifetimes without ever even hearing a sentence related to the truth of suffering and its end- hence now is the time to 'strive diligently'.
movingalways wrote: This the is difference between those who perceive of enlightenment as being the continuation of existence and those who do not. For those who perceive the former, bliss is an attractive meaning maker. For those who perceive the latter, bliss is but a step on the way out of bliss, to stay there would be hell.
Yeah, bliss, excitement, pleasure, are simply different forms of craving/suffering. There can be no liberation from existence, or even understanding of why one would end the craving for existence, without insight and understanding of the literal meaning of the first noble truth.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Given there's a total absence of a real I there behind the labels seeker.
blindfolded, trying to pin the tail on the donkey.

There's no I in bliss/suffering
they are reified, called forth into existence
voluntary
you volunteer for it

The universe did not birth consciousness.
consciousness evolves the universe.
magic show.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Dennis Mahar wrote:The universe did not birth consciousness.
Yeah, got that.
Dennis Mahar wrote:There's no I in bliss/suffering
they are reified, called forth into existence
voluntary
you volunteer for it

So there's no I, but somehow you are master of conditions and simply opt out of suffering for eternity.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:
Dennis Mahar wrote:The universe did not birth consciousness.
Yeah, got that.
So you guys do not really understand dependent arising then? Since you've started to exclude some things from it right there.
ComfortablyNumb

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

humble /thread
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

I'm reading this now:

http://phong.com/journal/wp-content/upl ... dharma.pdf

Bodhidharma's statement is, BUDDHAS DON'T SAVE BUDDHAS. He is saying you are all buddhas
whether you know it or not, and how can anybody save you? How can one buddha save another buddha?
All that a buddha can do is to wake you up. That is not much of a saving. When you wake somebody up, do
you think you are holier, and special, and you have done a great service to humanity, by waking a poor
fellow who was sleeping?
BUDDHAS DON'T SAVE BUDDHAS. This is a very pregnant statement. It gives equality to every
being. The only difference, which is not much of a difference, is ...everybody is a buddha; a few are asleep
and are unaware of who they are, and a few have become awakened and know who they are. But essentially,
there is no difference at all, and there is no question of saving anybody. It is his right if somebody wants to
continue to sleep; it is his birthright. You cannot forcibly wake up somebody because that is interfering with
his freedom.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

You aren't excluded Mum.
don't fret dear.

how about the term:
Inferential cogniser

meaning maker
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

:)

Thank you sweetheart.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Know all sufferings
dependent arising
don't buy into it.

know all names
dependent arising
don't buy into it.

what's on the menu?

Bliss generator.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote: So you guys do not really understand dependent arising then? Since you've started to exclude some things from it right there.
Think he means there's no difference between the universe and consciousness. That would mean dependent.