Blessed are the poor in spirit

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kelly Jones

Re: Blessed are the poor in spirit

Post by Kelly Jones »

Bob Michael wrote:
David Quinn wrote:Not really. You're reading too much into it. My complaint would apply to any culture or religion the world over. We are all drowning in womanly pap. It's everywhere.

Surely it's everywhere, however I do feel that Catholics suffer disproportionately and perhaps far more fatally from it than others, at least here in the U. S. And I must ask here. Are you having any real effect in the awakening of any of your fellows? Personally I don't feel that I am presently, though I believe I'm finally on to developing the right approach for this undertaking, which it seems all the heretofore gurus, godmen, saints, saviors, teachers, preachers, geniuses, etc. have failed to do.
I don't know what US catholics are like (Thomas Merton aside), but the Australian type seems to differ in superficial ways from Protestants. E.g. alcohol, statues, midnight services, cliques / elitism, Latin, timidity in children, dress-ups, more obvious sexual segregation. I don't see much of that culture in Dave's personality or style, though it's possible it has influenced his inclination to theatre, in the same way Oscar Wilde or Camille Paglia were influenced.

I think it's also influenced his views that religion has been an important part of society for bringing loftier ideals to the animal kingdom. It is a stark reminder, when one sees the huge buildings and their somewhat gothic spires towering over the rest of the humdrum suburbs or garden-variety townships.

Blair

Post by Blair »

Kelly Jones wrote:I don't know what US catholics are like (Thomas Merton aside), but the Australian type seems to differ in superficial ways from Protestants. E.g. alcohol, statues, midnight services, cliques / elitism, Latin, timidity in children, dress-ups, more obvious sexual segregation..
Aha, do you realize how idiotic that sounded? A Catholic is a Catholic the world over.

Careful Kelly, you are just another schmuck who knows a leetle about everything.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Diebert:

In Eckhart's work the ideas of purity and emptiness are virtually interchangeable. Like in About Disinterest [although some might translate the original Abegescheidenheit with detachment, but also possible is solitary, "set apart" but not at all "removed" of course.]

Bob:

Along with purity and emptyness I think here of quietness or stillness. About 20 years ago I was working with an outside contractor in a remote area of a K-Mart store. I happened upon a wall calander with a nature scene and the following quote of Meister Echart on it. "With a quiet mind all things are possible." It immediately left a considerable and lasting impression on me and I equated it with the oft-heard line: "With God all things are possible." Eventually I came to see God and the quiet mind as one and the same thing. Along with the realization that a genuinely quiet or still mind is the same thing as a pure heart. And that to reacquire such things necessitates going back through our lives and coming to realize and then righting all of our past wrongs and shortcomings. Along with striving to perfectly conform our will to God's will or the greater will. Times of purity and/or emptyness, quietness, or stillness may come to us of themselves spontaneously, but again, I find in order to maintain such a state requires honest, thorough, conscientious, and unending soul-searching.

Diebert:

What is the prayer of the disinterested heart? I answer by saying that a disinterested man, pure in heart, has no prayer, for to pray is to want something from God, something added that one desires, or something that God is to take away. The disinterested person, however, wants nothing and neither has he anything of which he would be rid. Therefore he has not prayer, or he prays only to be uniform with God.

Bob:

I pretty much agree with this notion, although there may come times that we may, or more likely,
will, fall out of step with God's will and we'll need some prayer, or more likely some meditation, change, and further fine-tuning in order to get back again into perfect harmony with God's will.

Diebert:

In this sense we may understand the comment of St. Dionysius on a text of St. Paul - 'they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize" - that is, all the soul's agents race for the prize but only the soul's essence receives it. Thus, Dionysius says: "This race is precisely the flight from creatures to union with the uncreated". When the soul achieves this, it loses its identity, it absorbs God and is reduced to nothing, as the dawn at the rising of the sun. Nothing helps toward this end like disinterest.

Bob:

I perfer detached/detachment here to disinterest.

"There is no love, save in a heart that's detached." (Meister Eckhart)

Diebert:

To this point we may quote a saying of St. Augustine: "There is a heavenly door for the soul into the divine nature - where some-things are reduced to nothing". On earth, this door is precisely disinterest, and when disinterest reaches its apex it will be unaware of its knowledge, it will not love its own love, and will be in the dark about its own light. Here, too, we may quote the comment of an authority: "Blessed are the pure in heart who leave everything to God now as they did before they ever existed". No one can do this without a pure, disinterested heart.

Bob:

My favorite line of St. Augustine's is: "God provides the wind, but we must raise the sails." And I would add here: not let anyone or anything take the wind out of them.

Diebert:

That God prefers a disinterested heart for His habitation may be seen from the question: "What is God looking for in everything?" I reply with these words from the Book of Wisdom: "I seek peace in all things". There is, however, no peace except in disinterest.

Bob:

I'd rather think a pure, still, quiet heart or mind is a heart or mind that is very much 'interested'. Disinterested/disinterest makes me think of being complacent, uncaring, or irresponsible.

I read next to nothing biographically about Meister Eckhart and could be wrong here, but I suspect he pretty much lived a monastic life of relative ease rather than making the ascent to God out in the thick of life in the real world. Which was definitely the case with many religious or spiritual men. Thomas Merton being a good latter-day example here who comes to mind. Which I strongly feel rendered them impotent and ineffective in stirring others to radical change and ultimately on to full and genuine Self- and God-realization. Writing speaking eloquently about God, love, purity, disinterest, detachment, spirituality, wisdom, the Infinite, etc. is rather easy, whereas being a full and well-rounded living embodiment of these things is hard and the real test of manhood or faith.

Lastly, I would add here that a "pure heart" would be an earnest, honest, sincere, and 'actively' repentant heart. One which will then 'see God'.

"Christianity, alcohol - the two 'great' means of corruption." (Nietzsche - 'The Anti-Christ')
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Kelly Jones wrote:I don't know what US catholics are like (Thomas Merton aside), but the Australian type seems to differ in superficial ways from Protestants. E.g. alcohol, statues, midnight services, cliques / elitism, Latin, timidity in children, dress-ups, more obvious sexual segregation. I don't see much of that culture in Dave's personality or style, though it's possible it has influenced his inclination to theatre, in the same way Oscar Wilde or Camille Paglia were influenced.
I wonder whether an "inclination to theatre" may sometimes be a means of escaping one's inability to live in the real world?
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

I think it's a little more complicated, Bob. While I won't speak for Dave, I'll pull an extract from a published letter to Kevin Solway (from "Letters Between Enemies", 1989), which might shed some light on the matter of what form of escapism he was drawn to at the beginning of his venture into wisdom of the Infinite:

I'm continually at odds with the adult world - or should I say, the woman's world! Psycho-analysts - those female psychologists - would say that I am neurotic. They would be partly right because there are emotional hang-ups involved, but it is only a case of not wanting to solve my neurosis through the "adultizing" of my personality. The psycho-analysts would then say: yes, you have convinced yourself that you don't want to change, so that you can ease your sufferings through pride.

No, simply, the adult world is fake and pretentious. Consequently, I am still twelve years old. When I was physically twelve, I had, up to then, quite happily played with my friends, but then, upon entering the teens, they all changed. My friends grew into adults in their quest for females - whereas I stopped growing. The only thing that kept me in contact with others was sport. But when I gave up sport, the last contact was broken, and I now exist in this never-never world of immaturity!

I am depth and melancholy and unspontaneity personified - and no-one knows how to treat me as such. I fail to entertain them, and they grow quiet and want to move on.

I am no longer a member of the species homo sapiens. Their spontaneity and laughter are worlds away from my introversion. The only similarity between me and them is the shape of our bodies.

But then, as Nietzsche says: you are different to the herd, but not different enough - for it is the herd in you which speaks of the suffering of your differentness.

All this was brought out painfully clear, when I recently did a bit of voluntary work for an arts festival. It had been three years since I was last involved in the art world - and this came as a shock. It was a nightmare, where I was wondering whether I was on my home planet or not! Anyway, I made some observations:

- Definition of Art: The death throes of a disintegrating soul.

- Opening night of an Arts festival: Where dying souls can come together to laugh away the emptiness.

- Alcohol: Used to excite the death throes, to squeeze as much out of the remains as possible.

- The artist: One who deceives himself into believing that he is an individual.

- Opening night: A gathering of people who deceive themselves into believing they are individuals.

. . . All the while, the mad Van Gogh is ignored or spat upon.

Thinking and wisdom is a diversion, or form of escapism, from that "adult" insanity. One suffers from having too much of it in oneself, and flees it.

However, at that stage the opposite of emptiness can be daunting as well, and one can sometimes use a regression into lesser forms of insanity to escape the suffering one feels at living at the highest standards, to escape the suffering of not being able to cope with the constant demands of wisdom. So a little psychological play, and resting at a lower level, might be considered escapism, but it's done in order to help one adjust.

I think the two kinds of escapism are often overlaid. One tries to escape the world, can't really cope with the full extent of wisdom, tries to go back, but one's love of reason won't let one. So gradually, fluctuatingly, and with ongoing pressure upwards, the escape becomes more like resting at home.

Blair

Post by Blair »

Seriously, get over yourself girl, you ain't all that.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Alex Jacob wrote:It is larger and more relevant than you suspect, David. Consider the Baptism of the Frankish King Clovis. Quite an event, and quite a surrender of sword and phallus. Here is an article on the Christianization of the Germanic Tribes.

In Catholic Catechisms, this event is depicted as the humbled King who kneels obediently before the sceptor of the Church and Clergy to receive the baptismal water. It is in many ways the very image of emasculation.

The beginnings of your 'womanly pap' is to be found here.
Nonsense, like every time you try to talk about history or power relations which you fundamentally misunderstand (being the fascist type). The whole story is soaked in clever choices of allies and a gamble on which divine intervention might be more beneficial on the battle field. As the article mentions, Constantine started the hype when he embraced Christianity to become symbol of his attempt to keep together a crumbling, decadent and divisive empire with force and unified beliefs. This caused Christianity to become in Clovis his time like a political and military power, but also a bloodline and another potential benevolent god to invoke on the battlefield.

The whole image is one of masculinity in service, before and after conversion. The ax wielding warrior being the emasculated thinker, which means: any masculine thinker-warrior would spend all this effort to gain, to achieve his aims by minimizing the costly and risky battles. He would aim for unity, as is in his nature.
Diebert van Rhijn

Bob Michael wrote:And that to reacquire such things necessitates going back through our lives and coming to realize and then righting all of our past wrongs and shortcomings. Along with striving to perfectly conform our will to God's will or the greater will.
But do you understand the above attempts are a completely separate issue from 'purity' as we're discussing it here?
I find in order to maintain such a state requires honest, thorough, conscientious, and unending soul-searching.
It's not really a state to be maintained, but any state, while still being pure and empty in essence like all other states, just has another opposing state as result over time. This is why you can never maintain any of it. And to be stateless would be contradictory and as such a false notion.

"There is no love, save in a heart that's detached." (Meister Eckhart)
You do realize I was quoting Eckhart in the whole block because I notice you were attributing my name to all the bits in your reply.

Because when you quote Eckhart now, you just use another translation that preferred 'detached' for the same term as the translation I used had 'disinterested'. This is also the reason I mentioned it at the start. Some have argued that "non-attached" would be better than "detached" for reasons you also mentioned in your reply. There's also an interesting link to the sacred and "holiness" which has deep roots in the notion of "set apart". One could easily see how our basic consciousness is very much in line with this type of 'pure' separation.
I read next to nothing biographically about Meister Eckhart and could be wrong here, but I suspect he pretty much lived a monastic life of relative ease rather than making the ascent to God out in the thick of life in the real world.
There's not that much known, but he appears to have been more like a teacher in the clergical education system and as well having some leadership positions. Combined with being basically persecuted by the higher authorities inside the Church, it would be fair to suspect he was very much engaged with the 'real world', having students, responsibilities over other clergymen and church affairs, as well having to battle for his position, against the charges of heresy.

It doesn't appear to be an "easy", "withdrawn" life. Actually I think you and I are the ones with the relatively easy, cushioned life with less responsibility, confrontation and suppression.
Writing speaking eloquently about God, love, purity, disinterest, detachment, spirituality, wisdom, the Infinite, etc. is rather easy, whereas being a full and well-rounded living embodiment of these things is hard and the real test of manhood or faith.
It's only easy when one merely parrots what is heard about these topics. Writing or speaking truthfully, out of the heart, cannot be done without embodiment of the very things written about. Of course one cannot just detach from the forces which have shaped our being. One can however learn how to integrate the particulars of the situation one finds oneself in with the orientation and wisdom gained, to understand more of the causes and effects which make up our inner and outer world. And clarity increases with that, and as such real wisdom and ability to deal with any confusion thrown at you.
Lastly, I would add here that a "pure heart" would be an earnest, honest, sincere, and 'actively' repentant heart. One which will then 'see God'.
You might be describing here some valid ways toward discovery of purity but one should never want to add anything to a pure heart. It only desacrilizes it at some point and God will be replaced by some fancy idol.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

In Catholic Catechisms, this event is depicted as the humbled King who kneels obediently before the sceptor of the Church and Clergy to receive the baptismal water. It is in many ways the very image of emasculation.

The beginnings of your 'womanly pap' is to be found here.
I submit that the beginning of 'womanly pap' is to be found in the consciousness of the 'henid' or 'longing' that is expressed in the consciousness of reason as Einstein's theory of relativity, E=mc2. That it is the furthest 'point' of this extension of matter = energy, or A = A, and that it is the consciousness of the awakened man who is responsible for discovering this henid or longing within himself, and once discovered, to 'bring his womanly pap home.'

"Bringing one's woman home" is to be aware of the birth and death of matter itself. This 'calling home' of the extension or emanation of E = mc2 is expressed by way of the biblical story of consciousness at rest [Genesis 1] and consciousness-in-longing [Genesis 2], the longing of which is suggested by the scripture "But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground."

Scientists say that the first emanation of matter, of BUT, was a star [physical light], whose inherent nature of I Am relativity is that of nuclear fusion. And that all forms can be said to emanate from this union or longing of BUT-I-am-not-at-rest. The '[burning] longing' every creature experiences in every moment of its physical life: the consciousness of Adam/Eve, before Eve is extended into the thought pattern of hunger, thirst, sex, and then, of its most abstract pattern, into the intellectual world of man's complex analysis of the dualities.

I submit that when Eckhart spoke of breaking free of the emanation, that it was to the liberation of the BUT of the appearance of matter to which he referred. And that to have poverty of spirit and purity of heart is to to bring Eve home to Adam, then Adam/Eve home to the Lord God, and then the Lord God home to the Father-at-rest. To have the wisdom and the endurance of this wisdom to sit on the nuclear fusion of the star of SELF, the 'henid of pairs' until it is consumed or absorbed of Being-at-Rest.

Described in scripture as being the activity of God, in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself. The bearing of one's cross of being obedient to sacrificing one's thought "BUT." In Buddhism, of ending the turning of the wheel of birth and of death.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:You do realize I was quoting Eckhart in the whole block because I notice you were attributing my name to all the bits in your reply.
Yes I did realize that, Diebert. And I sit content with my reply and will leave it at that. Thanks for your initial post and reply.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Thanks Kelly. I try to keep things simple. I think so often we tend to complicate things and then hide or find comfort in these complications. Or perhaps in being an 'expert' regarding them.

You say, "So a little psychological play, and resting at a lower level, might be considered escapism, but it's done in order to help one adjust."

Indeed this has happen to me often over the years. And even for considerable periods of time. But in my case my organismal sensitivity was such that I could not rest anywhere too long or, worse yet, permanently, thank God. Yet, I think in many cases, people who in fact may have been to the mountain top, so to speak, are able to come back down again and 'rest' in various forms of self-delusion permanently. Since they lack sensitivity, courage, and strength, along with the fact that the organism atrophies with age which also further desensitizes and weakens it. Perhaps they'll have a head full of knowledge of things divine etc., yet they won't be a living embodiment of these things and their knowledge and actions regarding the divine or the Infinite will be considerably limited in a practical or down-to-earth manner. Rendering them of little real help to others in the journey of self-overcoming.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

I don't know if 'nonsense' is quite the right word, though I do understand your tendency to 'pique'. The image of the Cross of Sceptor in front of which the pagan surrenders his own will, and bows down his head, and becomes obedient and serviceful, is I think a fairly accurate image of the outcome of the Christianization of Europe.

Still, there is always squirming and deception there too. Power struggles behind scenes and behind presentations. But the general image is one of receiving an 'imposition'. In any case, in Catholic images of these events (these yieldings), the heathen is always shown humbled, reduced, surrendered. And it is quite possible, probable too, that this is the very essence of 'fascistic' in your specific sense. In my own case, Machiavelli still seems to sum up the nature of power relations, how they fuction. It is not because of a fascistic tendency in me (as far as I am aware) but an accurate description of how power functions in the world.

In the sense I mean, 'pap'---which is both baby food and the maternal teat---is a softened, intelligible, saleble group of ideas: 'Any speech, writing, or idea lacking substance, or of trivial content; oversimplified, trite, or worthless ideas'. And looked at in a certain way one could say that all of Europe was made to surrended to such 'pap'. I think this is how David meant it.

"The whole image is one of masculinity in service, before and after conversion."

It rather seems to me the first steps in a process of 'feminization'.
Ni ange, ni bête
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Yet, I think in many cases, people who in fact may have been to the mountain top, so to speak, are able to come back down again and 'rest' in various forms of self-delusion permanently. Since they lack sensitivity, courage, and strength, along with the fact that the organism atrophies with age which also further desensitizes and weakens it. Perhaps they'll have a head full of knowledge of things divine etc., yet they won't be a living embodiment of these things and their knowledge and actions regarding the divine or the Infinite will be considerably limited in a practical or down-to-earth manner. Rendering them of little real help to others in the journey of self-overcoming.
Bob, may I say that your view of those who have gone to the mountain-top and come down, is prejudicial, to say the least.

What you put forward, which a view I have encountered too many times to count, is a common prejudice of the transcendental spirit, and perhaps it is true for some, but for those transcendent spirits who do not deny that they are yet caught in their patterns of the earth while they are transcending such patterns, just the opposite is true. It is just because they realize that they are yet still bound to the gravity of the shadow of self, that they feel deep compassion for those who are on the journey of self-overcoming. Speaking for myself, when I relate to those in my life who do not share my wisdom of the Totality of I Am Awareness, I relate very deeply to their human experience of pleasure and of pain, hopefully helping them experience its duality fully, but also, point them in the direction of "this too shall pass." For me, the very human emotion of laughter is the ideal way of expressing the truth that the human spirit is caught in a paradox of awareness. Laughter, to me, seems to contain all of the human emotions 'all wrapped' into one cathartic release.

The way this transcendent-reaching spirit sees it is that reality has no need of laughter, but to the one who knows this, and yet remains caught in the spell of pleasure and of pain, laughter truly is the healing agent that touches all points of consciousness awareness.
Diebert van Rhijn

Alex Jacob wrote: In any case, in Catholic images of these events (these yieldings), the heathen is always shown humbled, reduced, surrendered.
Perhaps you're too much enthralled with form here. And perhaps you're explaining them through a warped senses of what the signs might have meant at the time. Two observations which might help: first of all the image of humbling, reducing and outward surrender was very common as Christian ceremonial custom. To have some "heathen" participate in that means nothing in particular but the fact he's now participating in Christian culture and its particulars. And secondly, the language of bowing and humbling is still high on power, understood by all parties involved. The dynamics were actually pretty well understood by the pagan rulers. It wasn't anything new, perhaps only more powerful (in significance at least) than the dynamics they were used to themselves. It therefore was also very attractive for the heathen nobles (hence the wildfire of conversions in general).
In the sense I mean, 'pap'---which is both baby food and the maternal teat---is a softened, intelligible, saleble group of ideas: 'Any speech, writing, or idea lacking substance, or of trivial content; oversimplified, trite, or worthless ideas'. And looked at in a certain way one could say that all of Europe was made to surrendered to such 'pap'. I think this is how David meant it.
The point I tried to make was that the Roman Catholic pap was just a roll-in replacement of the pagan pap. The only relevant power lies in the erected structure, the empire, the Church, the complex web of allegiance, lied down by earlier emperors who appear quite pagan actually, or involved in mystery cults or philosophies with not that much in common with the Church dogma that grew out or on top of the conquest.
It rather seems to me the first steps in a process of 'feminization'.
In my view that particular process, in relation to its fruition in Modernity, started with the rise of the Humanists. That doesn't mean it was a thoroughly 'masculine' world before that, but it was not feminised either.
paco

Post by paco »

I just saw jufa and sapius in my room.
I am illiterate
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

paco wrote:I just saw jufa and sapius in my room.
How did you know it was them? If they show up in my room how would I recognize them?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

This thread is about Eckhart's doctrine of poverty of spirit and his emphasis on the purest form, which he calls the "straitest poverty":
A great master says that his breaking-through is nobler than his emanation, and this is true. When I flowed forth from God, all creatures declared: "There is a God"; but this cannot make me blessed, for with this I acknowledge myself as a creature. But in my breaking-through, where I stand free of my own will, of God's will, of all His works, and of God Himself, then I am above all creatures and am neither God nor creature, but I am that which I was and shall remain for evermore.
To me, Eckhart provides no wiggle room, no chance for misunderstanding, for those who truly hear and are ready to live his spiritual comprehension. He is crystal clear: A great Master says that his breaking-through is nobler than his [creature] emanation; surely this includes all patterns of thinking of all the dualities of DNA appearance, of which, on this board, masculine vs. feminine is a long standing, long winded favourite?

I really would like to hear from those who profess to comprehend the essence of Eckhart's teachings of the poverty of spirit, and yet, continue to stand inside their male/female creature emanation, debating with one another of which creature is 'better'?
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

• "Thou hast conquered, O pale Galilean; the world has grown grey from thy breath; We have drunken of things Lethean, and fed on the fullness of death." [Lethe Greek Mythology: The river of forgetfulness, one of the five rivers in Hades.]
    ---A.C Swinburne
(Swinburne as a voice of new and resurgent 'paganism' and opposition to the 'projects of Judeo-Christianity'.)

A few useful notes:
  • The more common meaning of classical Latin paganus is 'civilian, non-militant'. Christians called themselves milites, members of Christ's militant church---'enlisted soldiers' in the war of Christ against temporal powers, paganistic and 'devilish' powers, and attached to non-Christians the term used by soldiers to all who were 'not enlisted in the army'.

Heathen is from an old English word that may have meant 'not Christian or Jewish', and came from a word indicating simply those who dwelled on the heath.

'Pagan' was equated with a Christianized sense of 'epicurian' to signify a person who is sensual, materialistic, self-indulgent, unconcerned with the future and uninterested in sophisticated religion.

G. K. Chesterton wrote: "The pagan set out, with admirable sense, to enjoy himself. By the end of his civilization he had discovered that a man cannot enjoy himself and continue to enjoy anything else." (Chesterton as one defending the Christianizing mission and seeing in paganism a sort of dead-end).

St Augustine wrote The City of God, with the alternative title 'De Civitate Dei contra Paganos: The City of God against the Pagans', in which he claimed that whilst the great 'city of Man' had fallen (the seizure of Rome by the pagans in 410), Christians were ultimately citizens of the 'city of God.'

Interesting to consider that, even with a temporal loss (the invasion of Rome by the pagans in 410), he flipped the notion of the Christian project up to an abstract height, and from this conceptual height offered a way for the 'battle' to carry on.
Diebert wrote: "Perhaps you're too much enthralled with form here. And perhaps you're explaining them through a warped senses of what the signs might have meant at the time. Two observations which might help: first of all the image of humbling, reducing and outward surrender was very common as Christian ceremonial custom. To have some "heathen" participate in that means nothing in particular but the fact he's now participating in Christian culture and its particulars. And secondly, the language of bowing and humbling is still high on power, understood by all parties involved. The dynamics were actually pretty well understood by the pagan rulers. It wasn't anything new, perhaps only more powerful (in significance at least) than the dynamics they were used to themselves. It therefore was also very attractive for the heathen nobles (hence the wildfire of conversions in general)."

Frankly, one of the only things that can be said to 'enthrall' me is a teenage girl, 17 or so, with black curly hair and skin the color of dark cinnamon, naked on a bed with a virginal white sheet, so excited she rubs her legs together, waiting there for me with sopping haunches. THAT enthralls me. Oh and that aroma, that delightful aroma: like when you crush a fresh rosebud between your fingers and sniff them all day long. L'ivresse!

The forms of Catholic conception just don't quite do it, nor stories from the Christianization of Europe. ;-(

That by the way...

What you have written above denies, I think, one main thrust of the Christianizing mission. One need only dig up a few examples to offer a counter-picture.

For centuries, the Church has essentially demanded not just cerimonial bows, but has inculcated generation upon generation of children to bow down before a certain concept of God, and to establsih as a supreme virtue service to that 'God' (which is of course also a temporal power, but one that claims a 'link' to that abstract Christian city floating over the world).

In any case, I am speaking of very broad trends with no focus on particulars. The original commentary had to do with Bob's comments to David about emasculation. I suppose it is possible that humanism also was a factor and influence in this 'feminization', but I simply cannot get away from the early Christian sensibility of loving-kindness, community, sharing, and worship, as describing essentially 'the pap' that David so much hates and resists...in favor of some other, indefined 'masculinity'. (Nietzschean phallus, theatrical hikes up Lone Mountains, etc.)

My own view is that David's position, on one level---perhaps an unconscious 'subliminal' level?---arises from a neo-Romantic longing for the former, 'pagan' relationship to Life. Yet, it is a conflicted longing because it is also a position of detesting 'the world'. (That is why I sometimes see it as essentially Christian). So, the manouvre is one where 'Buddhism' is privelaged as a sort of exalted paganism, which also receives support from extremely advanced intellectualism a la Nietzsche, Weininger, etc.

Still, it IS hard to envision a 'real man' within the Christian/Catholic worldview. Everyone in a certain sense becomes womanly in laying their life and masculinity at the feet of the Savior.

This whole territory is pretty complex...hard to sort through.

Diebert wrote: "The point I tried to make was that the Roman Catholic pap was just a roll-in replacement of the pagan pap. The only relevant power lies in the erected structure, the empire, the Church, the complex web of allegiance, lied down by earlier emperors who appear quite pagan actually, or involved in mystery cults or philosophies with not that much in common with the Church dogma that grew out or on top of the conquest."

I can't agree. The roll-in was in many senses the city against the country, the sophisticated culture (sic) against the culture bound to the earth in 'paganistic' ways. There could be no unified pagan structure to resist (masculine) Christian culture, not in Europe, and not among 'country people'. Surely a power structure, whatever power structure, will be a dominant force. But it really seems to me that what the Church represented is something dynamically different.
Ni ange, ni bête
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

This whole territory is pretty complex...hard to sort through.
Like a dog with a bone, I ask, why are we not relating 'this complex territory that is hard to sort through' to the original quote of Diebart's of Eckhart's teachings, which is about poverty of spirit of the emanation of the creature, and of breaking through this emanation, in this case, the creature thought pattern of "church", of "men", and of "women?"
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

MA asks: "Like a dog with a bone, I ask, why are we not relating 'this complex territory that is hard to sort through' to the original quote of Diebert's of Eckhart's teachings, which is about poverty of spirit of the emanation of the creature, and of breaking through this emanation, in this case, the creature thought pattern of "church", of "men", and of "women?"

I don't think it is relatable. Eckhart's position is one of a very refined sort of spirituality, with a very particular 'goal'.

How could one ever talk about what Eckhart is saying, in its essence? You would just go silent and sit in silence. What would one ever say about it?

Can one begin to apply such a 'poverty of spirit' and detachment from the world to the world?

What do you want people to do with the attitudes and perspectives you offer, MovingAlways? (And isn't there a contradiction inherant in your user name?!?) You should be 'ForeverStill'...

;-)

But I do see that such historical musings are deviations from the more monastic stress of this thread...sorry!
Ni ange, ni bête
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

movingalways wrote:Bob, may I say that your view of those who have gone to the mountain-top and come down, is prejudicial, to say the least.
You win, m/a. It seems this place is largely a thing of competition, one-upmanship, or where there's a need by most people to be right or to prove they're right, rather than it being a place of genuine inquiry, learning, understanding, and self-overcoming. Seems most people herein are deeply stuck in the paralysis of analysis, which surely can't be much of a happy life at all. Or certainly not what one could call a genuine spiritual life. Or a life of true genius either.
Alex Jacob

Post by Alex Jacob »

Bob opines: "Seems most people herein are deeply stuck in the paralysis of analysis, which surely can't be much of a happy life at all. Or certainly not what one could call a genuine spiritual life. Or a life of true genius either."
Ni ange, ni bête
jufa

Post by jufa »

The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas-uncertainty, progress, change into crimes.

Salman Rushdie
Personally, I think this makes excellent sense and I would not support a fatwa against this individual. I think that maturity, both of the individual and the culture, represents an embrace of uncertainty and doubt and a rejection of a sacred-fueled "this is how it is." Someone noted that maybe man becomes civilized not in proportion to willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt. Our culture would be best served if it moves away from fear and faith towards doubt and inquiry. The hallmark of Fundamentalism is to reject the uncertainty of modernity and attempt to return to the rigid and dogmatic days of yore. But new times call for new avenues, and that which is seen through the rosey lens as a "golden age" to be reembraced, is often a distortion of what used to be.
As Rushdie notes, what is considered sacred by some, is often seen as self-serving by others. Attempts to point this out are often met with hostility. Paradigms held dogmatically are not easily challenged. - [Bones]

Our culture would be best served if it moves away from fear and faith towards doubt and inquiry.

I agree with the sentiments of Bone and that no religion should impose upon the individual's freedom to decide upon their own method of enquiry into the 'truth'. However, I personally would not employ systematic doubt as the means to that end as it tends to close doors too readily. I prefer to remain open to all possibilities as it also allows for the spontaneous, something which I suspect the scientific method would have trouble with, as it needs the repeatable to establish its ends. All assertions should be allowed to be challenged though and lines of enquiry kept open to test interpretations of events. It is very easy on the 'spiritual' path to jump to preconceived or wishful conclusions. Many followers of certain religious cults have ended up in desperate situations from naively allowing themselves to be persuaded into unquestioned belief. The pressure of conforming to group belief is very powerful and often difficult to stand up against, especially if the 'need to belong' is very strong. - [Brozolla]

"In the meditation for August 28 of A Net of Jewels (1996), Ramesh says,
"When a person finds that his own efforts are fruitless, then he turns to a power, he creates a power, conceives a power which will give him what he himself cannot get. He creates a concept, worships it, prays to it and begs it to give him what he wants. When even that entity fails to give him what he is seeking, further frustration and misery arise."

In religion, mankind creates its gods in its own images, and each religion then justifies its actions by claiming it speaks for its god. The more vengeful and punitive is the god, the more vengeful and punitive are the people who created it and who believe in it. Furthermore, if we think of God as being separate from us, we will not be able to avoid asking such questions as, "Why did God create suffering?", or, "Why is God doing this to me?" Thus, many adherents to Christianity are described as being God-fearing, not God-loving. Any belief in a separate god induces guilt, expiation of which often takes the form of trying to induce guilt in others. It is no accident that the most peaceful religions are the ones, like Buddhism, that have no concept of god.

Questions: Have you ever asked the question, "Why did God create suffering?" or, "Why is God doing this to me?"

Religions often preach love without knowing what Love is. Many religious fundamentalists interpret their god's love for them to be inseparable from its hatred for others. The U.S. political movement known as the Christian religious right is one such group (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_right). Its primary spokesmen are Pat Robertson, John Hagee, Rod Parsley, Franklin Graham, James Dobson, and Jerry Falwell (deceased 2007).

The scientific paradigm has produced the theory of biological evolution. Since God is unnecessary in this theory, fundamentalist Christians are attempting to impose an antievolutionary doctrine on the educational systems in several States in the U.S. This doctrine takes two forms, creationism and intelligent design. Both doctrines are derived from Biblical stories of a universe created by God, and as such, require a belief in a dualistic God (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism).

Fundamentalists often create enemies on whom to displace their feelings of self-punishment, self-fear, and self-hatred. Their (unrecognized) self-punishment can be so unbearable that they try to compensate by believing that they are god's favored few, and, in the name of this god, endeavor to eliminate a competing religion by trying to convert, demonize, or kill its adherents. Their fear of another religion or teaching can be even greater than their fear of death.

The belief that God has sanctioned violence leads to additional violence, not only among believers, but also among nonbelievers. (The daily news contains ample evidence that this is so.) Scientifically, this has been demonstrated by having a group of 500 students read a passage depicting violence in the Old Testament. Half of the students also read another passage saying that God commanded that the evil-doers be chastened. The half reading the additional passage were more likely to act aggressively in a later exercise, whether they were believers or not (Nature 446, 114-115 (8 March 2007))." -
The idea of the 'sacred' is common to all religions. It is associated with what is regarded as specially set aside as 'holy'. The sacred is invested with respect and reverence. It can refer to a church as a 'sacred space' or to scripture or to the ministry of the church. Anything set aside for God is considered to be 'sacred' as opposed to 'secular'.

When this is applied it is done so solely on the basis of 'feelings', and it is not reasonable. It is therefore the sourceoften of much disagreement, even violence against others with contrary feelings.

"The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas-uncertainty, progress, change into crimes."

Salman Rushdie
"Used as Rushdie says, to apply to obviously secular matters, is the real sin!" - [Soph]

What is being dealt with here is someones idea. Idea has no value of truth beyond the thought and acceptance of it. Because the majority attach themselves to it does not mean it is so. And because in one circle of living one is considered intellectually super, does not mean their idea is the defining evidence of what is being discussed universally.

Sacred to this writer has nothing to do with what a church, organization, community, country, or nation project. If such projection and ideas were the truth of what is sacred and holy, then the tumults which has constituted wars and financial upheaval in the world today could not exist. What is sacred is what brings peace and harmony to an individuals life, and that harmony is absorbed by all who come into contact with such a being, and practice that harmony with the knowledge that such practice has changed the world around them for the better. - jufa

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
m4tt_666

Post by m4tt_666 »

David Quinn wrote: I'm in Vietnam at the moment, and I heard a local describe nirvana as "a place of nowhere". Throosh! I've been spinning out on that one ever since!
taken into context, that is a frightening idea.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Bob Michael wrote:Thanks Kelly. I try to keep things simple. I think so often we tend to complicate things and then hide or find comfort in these complications. Or perhaps in being an 'expert' regarding them.

You say, "So a little psychological play, and resting at a lower level, might be considered escapism, but it's done in order to help one adjust."

Indeed this has happen to me often over the years. And even for considerable periods of time. But in my case my organismal sensitivity was such that I could not rest anywhere too long or, worse yet, permanently, thank God. Yet, I think in many cases, people who in fact may have been to the mountain top, so to speak, are able to come back down again and 'rest' in various forms of self-delusion permanently. Since they lack sensitivity, courage, and strength, along with the fact that the organism atrophies with age which also further desensitizes and weakens it. Perhaps they'll have a head full of knowledge of things divine etc., yet they won't be a living embodiment of these things and their knowledge and actions regarding the divine or the Infinite will be considerably limited in a practical or down-to-earth manner. Rendering them of little real help to others in the journey of self-overcoming.

Pam: Bob, may I say that your view of those who have gone to the mountain-top and come down, is prejudicial, to say the least. What you put forward, which a view I have encountered too many times to count, is a common prejudice of the transcendental spirit, and perhaps it is true for some, but for those transcendent spirits who do not deny that they are yet caught in their patterns of the earth while they are transcending such patterns, just the opposite is true. It is just because they realize that they are yet still bound to the gravity of the shadow of self, that they feel deep compassion for those who are on the journey of self-overcoming. Speaking for myself, when I relate to those in my life who do not share my wisdom of the Totality of I Am Awareness, I relate very deeply to their human experience of pleasure and of pain, hopefully helping them experience its duality fully, but also, point them in the direction of "this too shall pass." For me, the very human emotion of laughter is the ideal way of expressing the truth that the human spirit is caught in a paradox of awareness. Laughter, to me, seems to contain all of the human emotions 'all wrapped' into one cathartic release. The way this transcendent-reaching spirit sees it is that reality has no need of laughter, but to the one who knows this, and yet remains caught in the spell of pleasure and of pain, laughter truly is the healing agent that touches all points of consciousness awareness.

Bob: You win, m/a. It seems this place is largely a thing of competition, one-upmanship, or where there's a need by most people to be right or to prove they're right, rather than it being a place of genuine inquiry, learning, understanding, and self-overcoming. Seems most people herein are deeply stuck in the paralysis of analysis, which surely can't be much of a happy life at all. Or certainly not what one could call a genuine spiritual life. Or a life of true genius either.
Bob, the way I see it, if someone has actually been to the summit, meaning, their understanding of Reality is perfect, then their expression of it will show it. If they make mistakes expressing their understanding, then they haven't been to the summit.

And everything rests on that understanding. Nothing of any worth can proceed without ironing out the mistakes. That's why I focus on analysis, and primarily on coarse mistakes.

While my application is not perfect, my understanding is. I rarely engage with people on the level of subtle mistakes, because at that stage people are able to handle their own development.